Demand for SRE is High
Modern-day Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are the most sought-after and demanding positions in IT. SRE engineers have their responsibility and work together in an SRE model. Famous companies like Apple, Netflix, and Google are hiring a large number of SREs. Why? By implementing them, the services would be more reliable, available, scalable, and efficient.
SRE is the software best IT operation management system where engineers use different tools to manage, solve, and automate operational and development tasks. It creates a connection between developers and operators to make DevOps a success.
SRE – What Makes It On Demand?
The SRE team has its responsibility that increases their value and demand as a part of the organization. Here are top roles that SREs play for development:
Fix Issues and Respond in Real-time: Solving critical incidents in production increases the reliability of the system. The subject matter experts in SRE cover a wide range of tasks for developers and operators. In Real-time, they can assist teams and resolve escalation issues.
Building Software to Support Teams: SRE members are responsible for building and implementing software to make the tasks easier for both developers and operators. The software may include:
- Improving the monitoring system.
- Smoothly integrating changes to the production.
- Building auto incident management tools.
Teamwork: The work area of SRE teams is more expansive than any other unit. SRE members are also a part of software development, staging and production system, IT operations, technical teams, and on-call duties. So they get an opportunity to gather knowledge and write them in a document and continuously update it. It helps other members to get information to respond quickly to any incident.
Post-incident Review to Increase Reliability: Post-incident reviews are necessary to identify if the software is working correctly or not. Developers and IT professionals are responsible for individually conducting post-incident reviews. SRE teams are responsible for monitoring everyone and honestly conduct reviews, and learning from incidents. Thus they ensure the reliability of the service.
Nowadays, they are not bound above mentioned Roles and Responsibilities; Today’s SRE is more intelligent and also responsible for:
1. Analyze previous performance to create new improvement plans.
2. Risk management, continuous monitoring, and ensuring security.
3. Automate all possible tasks.
4. Add new and innovative features.
5. Manage a stable, scalable, and reliable system.
6. Quickly adapt to changing situations.
SRE provides balanced employment for individuals. In addition to handling daily tasks, it helps with long-term projects as well. SRE uses several tools to complete all tasks successfully.
Site Reliability Engineering Tools
- Communication tools – Telegram, Slack, Microsoft Teams, etc.
- Tracking tools – Asana, Trello, Jira, etc.
- Infrastructure Deployment tools- Terraform, Ansible, SaltStack, Cloud Formation, etc.
- Automation tools- PagerDuty, VictorOps, etc.
- Monitoring tools – Datadog, Kibana, New Relic, etc.
- Languages – Python, C++, Java, Ruby, and many more.
SRE focuses on inventing new ideas to solve issues and manage projects. Thus programmers and developers can produce unique software. Code for automation written by SREs reduces manual errors. A collaborative mindset reduces the possibilities of failure.
IT services are primarily dependent on SRE as we advance. A key role for SREs is to utilize their knowledge and skills to enhance the business environment. Therefore, SRE demand is on the rise.