Test automation uses automated tools to test code in every stage of development automatically. Testing is an integral part of software development. Autotests take only a few hours vs. manual tests, which take weeks. Since most of the tests are repeatable, it is better to go with an automated system than manual testing. This saves both money and time. Businesses are increasingly investing in test automation. Are you wondering what test automation is? This post will help you to learn more about
· What is test automation?
· Steps to test automation and
· The criteria of testing automation.
What is Test Automation?
In the test automation process, from managing test data to improve quality, everything is done automatically. Businesses prefer test automation to achieve speed and efficiency. It provides benefits to both the DevOps team and business analysts. But to gain testing automation, businesses need to follow some steps.
Steps to Test Automation
Let’s have a look at the general test automation process. It includes three steps:
1. Proper Planning and Preparation
The first step of adopting test automation is planning and preparation. Members need to collect test data and set the environment to run the tests. They can either manipulate data or put the applications into a specific state based on their needs.
In this step, the test driver runs the test. The test driver can use multiple ways like API or user interface or directly run the code.
3. Record and Report Results
The system will automatically record the tests. After the test completes, it provides a result. Usually, it shows green or red color indicating pass or fail.
Can members transform all the tests into an automated process? No, there are some criteria to meet.
What are the criteria for test automation?
Test automation focuses on reducing costs and saving both time and money. A testing process can be fully automated when the tests meet specific criteria. Otherwise, the business will face loss in the long run. Here are some criteria to consider:
· The test needs to be performed more than once. First, they need to set up the test and monitor the results. After getting the results, they need to clean up the data and environment to make it reusable.
· Determinant functions like addition can be transformed into automation. Because the outcome of the determinant function is always the same.
· It is impossible to automate opinion or feedback. Automation can only be employed in opinionated products, such as usability testing.
Test automation is the best way to improve quality and speed while maintaining speed. By reducing the workload and other burdens associated with repetitive tasks, the business can attain its full potential.